Membership and registration
Application for membership in the Bar Association
Under Swedish law, only members of the Swedish Bar Association may use the professional title “advokat”.
Among the requirements for membership are:
• Domicile in Sweden or another country within the European Union, the European Economic Area, or Switzerland,
• Passed proficiency examination required for competency to a judge’s office – i.e. in Sweden, a jur. kand. (LL.B.) degree,
• Minimum three years’ experience of practising law offering legal services to the public at the time of application,
• Passed the Swedish Bar Examination after completing the mandatory training courses,
• Reputation for integrity, and also otherwise considered suitable for the legal profession.
Special rules apply för applicants from other EU or EEA states, or from Switzerland, fulfilling the training requirements necessary for becoming a lawyer in their home countries.
Applications for membership are decided upon by the Board. Detailed information on the application procedure is found in the document Instructions for application for admission to the Swedish Bar Association.
Application form for Swedish lawyers
Application form for lawyers from the EU, the EEA, or Switzerland
Guidelines concerning examination on the Swedish legal system for EU lawyers wishing to apply for membership of the Swedish Bar Association under Chapter 8, section 2, paragraph 3, first sentence of the Swedish Code of Judicial Procedure
Registration of European lawyers
A lawyer from the European Union who pursues professional activities as a lawyer in Sweden on a permanent basis shall apply for registration with the Swedish Bar Association.
Information on registration with the Swedish Bar Association for EU lawyers